Sunday, September 13, 2009

Project-Based Learning Introduction

I'm familiar with project-based learning but in early childhood education field not in IT filed. This kind of learning technic is one of the most effective technic to teach the kindergarten. From my school experiences I think it works very well with kids who have short concentration. After I glanced this chapter I wonder how this PBL different from what I had ever learnt, so this kinda interesting to me to embrace my prior knowledge with the new one, especially in IT field that is focused on this book.

This is the important ideas of PBL
  1. Learner centered.
  • Students have a voice to choose the content area and projects they want to do.
  • Focusing on ensuring that student understand the purpose of what they are doing and what it is. Also they need to know how will they be assessed and help to set the assessessment goals.
  • PBL contribute to learner motivation and active engagement.
2. Problem or task oriented.
  • Most lessons should contain an emphasis on both lower-order and higher-order knowledge and skills but every PBL lesson should include an emphasis on higher-order knowledge and skill.
3. Authentic assessment is an important component of PBL.
  • Students understand goals, evaluation and assessment in a project clearly.

References
Moursund, D. (2003). Project-based learning using information technology. Oregon: International Society for Technology in Education.


My PBL experienced in high school


  • When I was in secondary, most of my classes are teacher-center which used to be effective but it's boring. Only in sociology class that teacher applied PBL with our class. She assigned us a group project which we had to do everything by ourselves from the beginning to the end. Teacher did not help us anything but give us clues and directions. We did lots of research before decided to pick the topic, then find the data, created presentation, and presented to class. That was my first time to learn how to do research from internet and learn how to work with power point. First, I don't like this kind of activity but after a while, I felt that I gain lots of knowledge, skills, and experiences by searching and doing by myself. How PBL was work with my class is getting whole class' attention and everybody gained the knowledge much more than just sit and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment